WILL COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Death records are filed with the Local Registrar by Illinois Licensed Funeral Directors
Death records are filed with the Local Registrar by licensed Funeral Directors generally within 7 to 10 days after the death. The process may occasionally take longer, and is based on coordination of many factors.
Currently “long” form death certificates can be issued from 1999 to the present only. “Short” form Certification of Death records can be issued for older death records dating back to 1916 and do not state causes of death. However, short form records do meet the legal requirements for an official “Certification of Death”. Information contained on older death records is subject to limitations imposed by the Vital Records Office of the State of Illinois.
It is highly recommended that the death record be reviewed for accuracy at the earliest opportunity. After one year even “minor” corrections become more complicated. Please contact the Vital Records office if you need further clarification at 815-727-8639. For information about Corrections, click here.
For a list of “What are Certified Copies of Death Certificates Needed For?” click here.
Application and Identification
Below is a list of acceptable identification:
- Illinois Driver’s License
- Illinois State Identification Card
- Out of State Driver’s License or State ID card
- US Military ID card
- US Naturalization Certificate
- Birth Certificate with an additional document
- Matricula Consular de Alta Seguridad (MSCA) (Consular Identification Card) Please note: The Matricula must be issued after October 2006 and be accompanied by an additional document for the same person
If none of the above documents are available, please call our office to discuss other options.
Acceptable methods for requesting a death certificate
- Come in person
- E-mail the application: email@example.com along with ID, then call our office during normal business hours with your credit or debit card in-hand so we can process your payment.
- Fax the application: Our Direct Fax Number is 815-846-1556 (the application must be accompanied by ID) Then phone our office during normal business hours (listed above) with your credit card in hand so we can process your payment.
- Mail the application to Attn: Vital Records at the above address along with ID and check or money order, payable to “Will County Health Department”. PLEASE NOTE: Expect that you will receive the certificates in the mail approximately 7 to 10 business days after your request is received.
Price for certified copies of Death
One certified copy of a death record costs $16.00. Each additional certified copy for the same record that is issued at the same time is $8.00 more. 1=$16, 2=$24, 3=$32, 4=$40, 5=$48, 6=$56, 7=$64, 8=$72, 9=$80, $10=$88, and so on. (Prices subject to change without notice)
Choices of payment
- Cash (if in person only)
- Personal Check payable to “Will County Health Department”
- Money Order payable to “Will County Health Department”
- Credit and Debit cards that are accepted include MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. Refer to the chart below for ranges and service fees.
|Transaction Range||Service Fee|
|$0.01 > $50.00||$1.50|
|$50.01 > $75.00||$1.75|
|$75.01 > $100.00||$3.00|
|$100.01 > $150.00||$5.00|
|$150.01 > $200.00||$7.00|
|For each additional increment of $50.00, or portion thereof, add $1.75.|